Thursday, July 18, 2013

7 quick takes vol. 6



     Last week my car bit the dust. We were about 40 minutes from our house when it happened, and of course there is no triple A to call to come get us.  So we called our mechanic, and he had his son drive ½ an hour to come and tow us.  During the hour or so we were sitting on the side of the road, 3 of Daniel’s current or former students saw us and dropped by to chat and of course diagnose the car (teenagers are good at this).  One guy even rode his bike home and came back with a few tools.   The only thing that was surprising is that more people didn’t stop by (I would have expected at least one cousin). 
Belize is really just a small town masquerading as a country.




I finally succumbed and started caffeinating myself.  I’ve always been a hold out against coffee, maybe because my dad drinks like 5 cups a day and is continuously wired.  But two babies have succeeded where even grad school failed.  Every morning around 10 I have my (classy) spaghetti jar of sweet tea.  I use a cold brew method, and put my jar in the refridge the night before so the tea steeps a while and it is icy cold.  I am rather shocked at how much more energy I have.  Now I’m actually voluntarily doing things at 4pm, instead of dragging myself off the couch while softly weeping.


   The energy burst let me rearrange a bunch of the Babe’s stuff to mesh more with a montessori philosophy.  Beyond a bit of internet research and having attended a montessori-ish kindergarden myself, I don’t know what I am doing.  However, I like the ideas of order and self-sufficiency that montessori promotes, so I set up some stations for the Babes.  In the bathroom he has a little tray with his toothbrush, some soap, and some small hand towels.  He does not get toothpaste on his tray cause he would eat the whole thing.  In the kitchen, he has a little tupperware filled with his utensils, cups, and plates so he can set those up for himself when he eats, and I've also put single servings of snacks in easy-to-reach containers so he can serve himself.  So far it has cut down a lot on whining and messes cause he stopped going through my other cabinets looking for his things.



His toy shelf has also been overhauled and now includes a sensory basket and some other learning type activities.  I'm working with what I have, so no fancy matching baskets and trays yet.  He is playing so much better now that he sees his toys, and also because he has less to choose from I think.  The house is much easier to keep looking neat, which is a nice bonus.



This is in my front yard.  I FINALLY got my husband the chicken collector down to 2 chickens, but he is unable to help himself and let this hen get broody so more chicks I guess in about 2 weeks.  ARGH.



I found a bumbo for Miss M, but it is proving to be a popular spot for others.  The Babes is a big fan too.



And this.  The best part of my days.  Miss M has started smiling at us, and she puts her whole heart in it.  Really it doesn't get any better.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, your cat could be a twin of my Perry. Loved your take on your week. Sorry your car broke down out in the middle of nowhere. Will be back to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about half way through #1 before I realize that it was about your car and not your cat. I thought is was a little weird. I can see from #6 that your cat is doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby smiles are awesome. Gotta go upstairs now and get me some baby smiles too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are the best!
    Miss M's smile...priceless!
    Hope your week goes well and enjoy your tea...I don't know how you survived this long without it. Without coffee, I would be lifeless. =)
    <3
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHE IS SO PRECIOUS!!!!! You are immensely blessed, Miss Cathleen.

    And the cat in the bumbo made me laugh outloud.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...